Tales from the Homeplace ~ Written by: Harriet Burandt & Shelley Dale
79 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I think this story is going to be about a girl that is being picked on because of her clothes. she lives in a little town that people make fun of her because she is'nt rich.
I think this is a nonfiction book by its pictures. its old fashion picture, big familys, and small kids. I think this will be a good book by the cover. it will probaly be a little sad but it will be good. I dont know if its true but i cant wait to read it.
I think this book is about a girl that lives on a farm and I don't think they live in a cold place because on the cover it says the adventures of a Texas farm girl so I thinnk because of the short dresses the girls on the cover are wearing the dresses because it's really hot I also think it took place along time ago because the pictures are black and white.
I wonder if the two girls on the front cover are the main characters in the book. I also think that it might be veary hot in that place. I think that it wiil be about the old days like back then because of the picture on the front cover it is black and white witch back than thay didn't have color.
i think the climate is cool and warm at the time because on the front cover has two girls in dresses also it takes place in Texas. i also think the girl Irene Hutto is one of the front cover and the other girl maybe her sister. i think Irene Hutto realy cares about her family knowing the things she did for them. i wonder who James Tilley is? i think this takes palce back a while ago because of the cover and also the pictures are black and white.
from the picture I predict that Tales from the Homeplace will be about 2 girls that move to homeplace. I learned from reading part of the back that she saves 6 siblings from a hungry panther. The main charecter is a 12 year old girl.
I do think its about a farm family but i dont think its just about one girl. I do think that the oldest girl takes care of her siblings. And i also think it is hot there by the way they dress.I think everyone did good comments. Tank you.
perryDasia.D I agree with you I also think all the things you think like I know its probley is a hot place and it takes place a long time ago but I just thought about another thing when reading these commets all of us kinda have different things we are all thinking of something different about this book
I think it is about a little girl with a hard life people trying to change her animals atacking her and trying to save a horse it will be a very good book.
I really don't think the girl on the cover has a big family but I do think it's nonfiction by it's old fashioned pictures. And I do think the story's going to be a little sad.
today I read the chapter called the panther its called that because they encounter a real panther! it all started when irene (the oldest) took them to the lake. I thought to myself that no wander this chapter is called the panther. I also thought will the panther eat them are will they get away? but then again if this is the first chapter there not going to die and I was right! I was so scared! I thought they were going to be his lunch!
I just finished the chapter panther and i think its intresting. Irean is trying to save her brotherand sisters. I know it would take a lot of courage to do that. Thank you.
i think chapter 1 was very intersting.I was also curious who Henry was? i also found out a garfish is long and has sharp teeth. I think a under slip is like what people called something like a bathing suit.I also did not know what a coper head was or what sorghum was. iwas scared for Irene and Baby Annie and the other siblings because Irene saw a panther. i also thought every one was relieved Irene knew that saftey dance.
I do think the girls on the cover really cares about her siblings. How do you know the girls name was Irene Hutto? How do you know it wasn't Piggy Hutto? I don't think people would like it if they picked on her clothes.
Her brothers will respect her now after she just saved them from a panther. I think Irene is proud. she will problably have an easier job now that they listen.
I think tales from a homeplace is sad because, Irene's cousin E.B died by trying to kill more mice and on a actident triped on the gun he was holding and shot himself in the face and landed in a barbwire fence.Ithink E.B should have gotten that because, he put hisrat in Irene's dress and did really mean things to Irene
I think this story is explosive because Irene made E.b. mad so he reacted to kiil himself whith his dads handgun.It made me suprised when he kiiled himself for no reason this is a very!! very!! good story!!
i thought chapter 2 was very sad. in the begining i thought E.B was another family member and i was right.And also at the beginig i wondered what the wish was. And after i kept reading i thought E.B was mean. On page 22 i did not know what a kerosene lamp was i thought it was a lamp with a candle in it.I also thought the book was called Tales From The Home Place because the charecters called the house the Home Place.E.B died! and he shot him self
todayI read a chapter called the wish its about how there cosin comes to vist and all the cildrendon't like him. in this chapter I thought it wuold never be this sad because E.B (the mean cosin who through a dead mouse in Irenes shirt.) got in trouble and not on purpose killed himself. I was first started to read this chapter they said he was mean I wandered why they thought he was so mean. then I found out why and I agree with them. thats all I have to say so bye!
Maybe she isn't rich but everybody isn't rich. I do think the girls on the front cover are the main characters. It probaly is hot where the two girls live it probaly was from along time ago. I do think the girls on the front cover are wearing dresses for a reason. I do think the story is about a farm girl. They probaly come from a big family. I don't think it's just about one girl ethier. I do think the oldest girl takes care of her siblings. I do think people are giving her a hard time.
Lamya, I read your prediction that the story is going to be about a little girl getting picked on because she isn't rich. How do you think that makes the little girl feel? I love your word choice in your second post. "Explosive" is such a powerful word.
I like all the comets we said.All of us have different things to say, we all have different thoughts. my thoughts are different then Mrs.Perkins, Perry15 and even Perry11.
THAT IS TRUE HER BROTHERS SHOULD RESPECT HER AFTER SHE SAVED THEM FROM THE PANTHER.IRENE IS PROBABLY VERY VERY PROUD OF HERSELF. WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S GOING TO BE A LITTLE SAD?THAT GIRL IS 12 YEARS OLD.
I think Irene is sad now because every one is thinking it is Irene's fault that E.B died. I think it was not Irene's fault because Wishes like that do not come true and I think sense every one is acting or tell Irene it was her fault I think she feels horrible. I do not know if Irene will feel better because every one is blaming her. But I hope she feels better later in the book.
today I read a chapter called the wish. about how there cousin comes to vist. and all the children don't like him. in this chapter I thought it would never be this sad. because E.B. (the mean cousin who threw a mouse in Irene's shirt.) got in trouble and not on purpose killled himself.
I also wonder why E.B is so mean to them because he calls them names like squirt or,little squirt.Yeah it probably is something wrorg with him 'cause who would shot there selfs in the head with a real loaded shot gun.I don't like chapter 2 ethier because they are not showing a good example for little kids.
today I read the fugitive it starts out when they find a man thats all bloody, and has chains on his ankles. Thay all think he's a convict. (thats a person whos should be in jail) then I thought what if they get hurt?! then I read on and he's not a convict!!!! so they are taking him back home with his family. then there mom and dad told Irene she had to watch the children because they were leaving. then I wander will she freak out watching them? I hope not because then she will be mad through this whole next chapter.
I read chapter 3 the fugitive before I read the chapter I figured out a fugitive is a person person who is wanted and is not in jail.In the beginning who the man in I did not know who the man in chains were.I found out it was Horace Mooney.I also did not know what a convict meant. i found out it is a dangerous person who is locked up.i was also puzzeled that if Horace Mooney was not a fugitive why did he have chains on? I also really liked irenes cooking song because I thought it was unique because it is very cool. I did not know what cherubic meant. I also wondered were Homer was. I also thought there may be another convict outside or Horace Mooney because he knew were there house was. I thought it was Horace Mooney coming in the house I would be scared stiff if I was Irene or a other sibling. In the end it was Homer who was coming in the house.
in chapter 4 i did not know what the men and boy were doing in the begnning. I also did not know why the girls can not go on coon hunts. I also found out hunting dogs are great sniffers. Also Robert saw a racoon.
I think chapter 3 was strange. a bloodie man by the lake half naked with chanes. I wonder what would happen next his eye was going to fall out ha ha. I do like chapter 3 a lot and it was fun to read and yucky but i still liked it
Why do they go on the hunt? I learned that this was roberts first time to hunt. I agrea with ireane becuse I like to do the same thing as my family like ireane. I think it is importint to stay with your family when you go in the woods. I wonder what they will do next.
I think it is not fair to have a man hunt. Sometimes other people want to come.I dont blame robert for not wanting the dogs to come they can be very loud.
I wonder if Irene's family lives in the west because Irene says "Darn" alot. I also wondered what garfish are but I figured out they are big, long fish. They are also harmless. I relized that because Irene wished E.B dead so he killed himself with a shot gun. From reading some of the book I learned that they saw what they thought was a convict by the creek with chains and we found out it was a crazy man. The men went on a hunt for racoons and they almost got a really big racoon but they did not have time to shoot it. They did not bring a coon home.
Chapter 4 is so suprising and fantastic because Irene wants to be like a boy just to hunt. her mom doesnt even like the dogs not even one bit. Irenes mom calls the dogs..... you lousey dogs get up and do some work its not fair that we have to work oure butts off. Irene doesnt really want to hunt she just doesnt want to do her and her brothers and sisters chores or work.
I am so happy for ireane because she got to drive alone for the first time! that james is rude bumping into her tricking her into racing. i feel sorry for ireane she fell off the waggon on a cactus and she was on fire. I'm glad james apologized that was NICE.
Today I read the chapter The Race. I did not know why Robert was late to breakfast? Also I did not know what akimbo meant. I noticed that when this book took time the chores were much different then the chores we have now because some people don't even have chores.I also saw that Irene really liked driving the wagon. Also Irene saw James Tilley and I finally know who he is now.Also fell in a cactus patch!!! And James was nice after Irne fell in the cactus patch!!!
today I read chapters 4&5 chapter 4 was about how all the guys were on a hunt they were on a hunt for raccons I think am I right? well any way I kept reading but they never found any. I wondered will they ever find a raccon? then all of a sudden they found something! they say its Ol'Diablo is that a raccon are something else?well were done with that chapter so lets move on ,Irene talkedo her dad about why she can't do somethings but robert can (hes the one who went on the hunt to)so he finally got do some thing different. she got to drive and do some arrends then a kid named James Tilley he started to make fun of Irene. I wodered why is he being so mean? well after that she was driving and fell in a cacctis patch once my friend fell in a cacctis patch.well at the end he appolagisd.
Hi Sophia, you mentioned that you think that this story takes place in the west because the characters say, "darn" a lot. Do people speak differently depending on where they live? Can you give me examples that you've noticed from other books? Were the men hunting the raccoon to eat? Why didn't they have time to shoot it? Did something happen?
Lamya, did you infer that Irene doesn't really want to hunt, that she just doesn't want to do her chores? Can you make a connection with Irene's character? I have read books where characters have worked really hard to get other characters to do their work for them! Do you think that is fair of Irene? Who does the chores if she gets to go hunt?
There is a lot going on in chapter 6. I think that the house is not going to make it through the storm. I wonder what is going to happen to the baby. I think we all make good comments on this book we all want are comment to be on the blog so we try are best and I think it was a good idea to start blogging.
today I read a chapter called the unexpected voyage. its about how lucy comes to vist her favorit aunt. aunt belle then I wondered are they at her grandmas are is she with her grandma at someone elses house?then all of a sudden it starts to rain and it comes in through her house! its going to flood! its been a long time and there still in the water. then the same is happening with Irene but they all come home okay.
Today I read chapter 6 of Tales Of The Homeplace. On page 80 I thought a manuscript was like a play script. I also did not know who Belle was and I found out it was the Aunt.Also when the flood came if I were Lucy or Aunt Belle I would be scared because I would not know what to do or what would happen! Also the door hing broke then the door broke of and the water came in very fast!! When Irene and other family mebers came to find Lucy and others I could not belive it was Lucy in the chicken coop!! I would be so happy if I were Lucy and when I came out of the chicken coop in saw my dad iI would have so much JOY!!
to:perryjuliap. I saw your coment on how you want to read about the horse and the glue factory. When you read it please blog and tell me about it. from:koester-jillian
at that time life was not fair girls. Iriene acted like a boy. she wanted to hunt. it was robart's coon hunt! I thot it had good vishuilzation when it said "the stars came out and filled the night sky. A hoot owl called in the dictece and the men continued to tell storys.
I have thick curly hair just like Lucy. And just like Lucy, it really hurts when it gets brushed.
Lucy was helping Aunt Belle with the chores and the house flooded at bedtime. They were in a hurricane. The door broke off and they used it for a raft in the flood. Back at the home place there was a very good visulation. "There was a loud crack behind them. WHo would be shooting a shotgun in the middle of a hurricane?wondered Irene as everyone jumped. It was followed by a drawn-out splintering, then a wooshing sound and a thud, as the kitchen roof blew over their heads and landed smack in front of them, hurling toward the fields like a rolling ball.
What does thatta mean? I learned that it can be fun riding a horse to school! I was intrested in Sydney riding her horse to school in the morning. I think Sydney's feeling happy because in a way she brags about her getting to ride her boy horse to school and from school every morning! I thought someone was going to ride there horse with her to school when I first started reading chapter seven. I also wonder if Irene lives in the west because she actually do say darn alot. Irene is more like a boy and she did want to hunt alot of girls do!
hi its me again today I read chapter 7 its called Sydny. Sydny is Irene's mothers horse.every day Irene rides Sydny to school,she really loves this horse. But why does she love this horse so much? one day she was with Sydny and sydny dashed away. WITH IRENE STILL ON HER! she fell off the horse and bummded on the ground.When her mother and father found out they were thinking of giving Sydny away. when Irene was doing her chores she found a newspaper it had an add with a horse on it.When she showed her dad he was veary happy.Soon after she had a talk with her her mother and then she finally told her why Sydny was so specail.
Today I read chapter 7 called Sydney. In the beginning I did not know were Irene and Sydney were. I found out if you ride "bare"back on a horse it means you ride without a sadle because it was bare in the word. I also did nto know what PINTO meant on page 98 and found out it meant spoted in 2 or more colors. Also dose any body on this blog know what withers are I think they are whiskers on the horse. I found out that when Sydney the horse went fast Irene fell off because the mail truck was in frount of Sydney and Sydney likes to be in frount or in the lead. Also because Irene fell off Sydney Daddy wants to sell Sydney. In the book Irene may have a solution to were they dont have to sell Sydney,Also they are going to try Irenes way. I think Irene gets hurt alot because she tries to prove herself to the boys.
In the beggining of chapter 7 i dont realy know what ireane is talking about. I think that ireane is happy to ride sydney becuse she says when she is on sydney she doent worrie about the rest of the day. at first i didnt know who sydney was but she is the horse. sydney was afraid og the mail man and ireane fell of and ireans dad wants to send sydney to the glue factory. I wonder how many times ireane is going to get hurt. I wonder if there is a type of glue called horse glue.
I learned that Homer scared the kids by pretending he was the confused man down by the creek. They were really freaked out. On chap. 4, when Irene said: "It's no fair! It's only a mens hunt!" Just like me I wanted to get ice cream but my mom told me no. I wonder why coons are so bad? What amazed me was that Irene got to drive a wagon (witch is a man's job.) James Tilley made fun of Irene by saying : "Your doing a man's job. Girls can not do this job!"Irene got soooo mad so she went super fast. She fell into a cactus patch! I wondered how? James Tilley pushed her in but he helped her out. He apoligized alot. I wonderd why James was being nice, the answer was, he was upset about hurting Irene.
bbI learned that Irene is being so jeolous because she asked what happend when yall were hunting and her brother said its not your buisnes its the boys buisnes. Irene was so frustrated that her own brother told her that straight in her face!!! I was suprised that she didnt do any thing about it. I would do somthing about it if my brother just had happend to do somthing like that. I think that the only thing that they did was just hunting and sleeping in a tent. I think that when they were shooting animals they just keep on missing when they shoot. If they were good at shooting they will be killing a lot of animals but i dont like when they kill animals.
I think that ireane is doing a good thing for her grandparents. I think Jimmy is lieing i bet he is only 5. I think that jmmy and junes father is rude because he gave there mom a black eye. I am glad that jimmy is glad to see his father ireanes grandpa said he misses his dad.
Why does Irene want to go to her grandpa's and grandma's? I learned that parents like when there children clean the house 'cause they won't let them go anywhere. I was intrested in Irene's mom not letting her go to her grandpa's and grandma's 'cause she has to see at least some of her family. I think I rene's mad because her mom won't let her go spend some time with her grandma and grandpa. I thought Irene's mom was nice because in the beginning she sounded nice and in my head she looked very nice. What is akimbo 'cause that is an unfamilier word? Why do they go hunting?
I like going to my grandmas to but my mom does not want me home. And my mom does not make a big deal about it. And I wonder when Irene will stop hurting her self just to prove herself one day she will really hurt herself.
Today I read chapter 8 called The Vist. In the beginning I did not know why Irene wanted to go to her Grandma's and Grandpa's. Irene wanted to because she did not want to babby sit and also get to spend alone time with her Grandparents. I did not know who the person was and then I found out the person was Lurleen a old friend.Lurleen had brusiesand a black eye. I found out how Lurleen got the brusies she left out a seed magizine and then her husband grabed her so tigtht that he left brusies. Lurleen has a little boy named Jimmy I think he dose outrages things to be 4 and a half because when I was 4 I did not dunk my head under water and not be scared that is why I think Jimmy is outrages.I think the time of the Depresioon is when times are hard and not enough money or jobs because Irene's Grandma said "there is not enogh jobs in the time of the Depersioon.
today I read chapter 8 its called the vist it starts out when Irene wants to go to her grandma and grandpas. Her mother says she can not go at first but then her mother finally agrees she can go.then I wondered why does she want to go so bad? I thought it was because she wanted to spend time with her grandparents.So after she got there she went to the backyard to help with the chores. then she sees these people she doesn't know who they are I think there relitives what do you think? well I read a few more pages there just friends. theres a mother and two sons. OMG! the mother has brusies and a black eye!!!! when I read that part I was so shocked! then I found out her husband hurts her!!!!!!!!!!!this guy must be so mean do you agree with? well you should. she stayed with them for a few days. then her husband picked her up early I bet hes really mad.
I wonder ho this porson was that Irene saw coming. From what I read I don't think it would be fun to baby-sit. Lurleen was the person ho she saw coming. Lurleen had bruses on her face and arms. I wonder what hapind to Lurleen.
I was amazed Lucy's setting in the story had changed! She was not at homeplace anymore she was at aunt Belle's house. I was astonished to find that a big hurricane bursted into aunt Belle's house. I wonderd how aunt Belle's house got filled with water, but later on I learned the hurricane pushed all the water in.My opinion of the hurricane part was : "If I were in this position people would try to make me calm down but it would not work. Out of the blue I suddenly notised that the hurricane wandered to to Irene's house. The next day Irene's family relized Lucy was in the hurrican so they went to save her. They stopped at jthe chicken coop to see why it was loud. They were throwing blankets at 2 hidden undressed women. I predicted they were Belle and Lucy. They finally came out. They were covered in oil and feathers. 1 girl spoke in Lucy's voice. It was Lucy and Belle.
I'm happy that ireanes family is having a reuion, but im not happy that homer is eatin all the food. why did ireane try on ruths shorts she new she would be in trouble. I think that ireane is happy becauone it did not minchin then having a talk about the shorts. I wonder why ireanes dad calls shorts devil's handiwork?
today I read chapter 9 called afterword its about family and how we learn about the family we live in. its also sbout how this story is true and all those events really did happen. the panther and sydny annd all the rest to. the onley thing thats not real is Irene she did not really get into those events. this was a really good book I wonder if they make a part two are even a series! that woulod be so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today I read chapter 9 called the Home Place.Inthe begging I thought the grandma was a good at directing the family dinner because she wants you and gets you to do the things she asks.Ruby had a fiance and I had neaver heard of Ruby intell this chapter. There was also another person in this chapter I did not know and her name was Ruth. Ruth had a skirt and let Irene and Lucy try it on. Irene tried it on first and l;ooked good. Then Lucy did not want to try it on. I think Lucy did not try on the skirt because she thought Irene looked better than her. Irene Ruth Lucy were in the out house trying on the skirt and a RATTLESNAKE was in the outhouse!!! Irene got in trouble for trying on the skirt. I would not get in trouble if I tried on a skirt.
I love to eat with my family it is very fun. one day I want to have a chance to organiz one. but for now I have to set it up the way im told.I wonder what they will be serving. What if it is ribs.What if it ends up going wrong like the rest of the story. Chapter 9
Why is the fugitive wandering around there house? I can visualize the fugitive wandering around there house. Are the girls just smart or good? Some people are very good and healthy like Irene but some are just like her brother's they eat to much sweets they barely eat veggie's or fruits they probably eat sweet's all day. But this chapter is not showing good explanation's for little kids.
What does it mean when it says primp? This reminds me of the time I had a family reunion. It reminds me because they are having a family reunion in this book and their whole big family gets together and they are having dinner outside, just like at my family reunion. I thought it was a good idea that everyone was helping to get the family dinner ready.
79 comments:
I think this story is going to be about a girl that is being picked on because of her clothes. she lives in a little town that people make fun of her because she is'nt rich.
I think this is a nonfiction book by its pictures. its old fashion picture, big familys, and small kids. I think this will be a good book by the cover. it will probaly be a little sad but it will be good. I dont know if its true but i cant wait to read it.
I think this book is about a girl that lives on a farm and I don't think they live in a cold place because on the cover it says the adventures of a Texas farm girl so I thinnk because of the short dresses the girls on the cover are wearing the dresses because it's really hot I also think it took place along time ago because the pictures are black and white.
I wonder if the two girls on the front cover are the main characters in the book. I also think that it might be veary hot in that place. I think that it wiil be about the old days like back then because of the picture on the front cover it is black and white witch back than thay didn't have color.
i think the climate is cool and warm at the time because on the front cover has two girls in dresses also it takes place in Texas. i also think the girl Irene Hutto is one of the front cover and the other girl maybe her sister. i think Irene Hutto realy cares about her family knowing the things she did for them. i wonder who James Tilley is? i think this takes palce back a while ago because of the cover and also the pictures are black and white.
I think it is about a farm girl. I think she cares about her siblings
from the picture I predict that Tales from the Homeplace will be about 2 girls that move to homeplace. I learned from reading part of the back that she saves 6 siblings from a hungry panther. The main charecter is a 12 year old girl.
i think after reading the comments and seeing a picture in the book i also think the girls come from a big family.
I do think its about a farm family but i dont think its just about one girl. I do think that the oldest girl takes care of her siblings. And i also think it is hot there by the way they dress.I think everyone did good comments. Tank you.
perryDasia.D I agree with you I also think all the things you think like I know its probley is a hot place and it takes place a long time ago but I just thought about another thing when reading these commets all of us kinda have different things we are all thinking of something different about this book
I think it is about a little girl with a hard life people trying to change her animals atacking her and trying to save a horse it will be a very good book.
I really don't think the girl on the cover has a big family but I do think it's nonfiction by it's old fashioned pictures. And I do think the story's going to be a little sad.
today I read the chapter called the panther its called that because they encounter a real panther! it all started when irene (the oldest) took them to the lake. I thought to myself that no wander this chapter is called the panther. I also thought will the panther eat them are will they get away? but then again if this is the first chapter there not going to die and I was right! I was so scared! I thought they were going to be his lunch!
I just finished the chapter panther and i think its intresting. Irean is trying to save her brotherand sisters. I know it would take a lot of courage to do that. Thank you.
i think chapter 1 was very intersting.I was also curious who Henry was? i also found out a garfish is long and has sharp teeth. I think a under slip is like what people called something like a bathing suit.I also did not know what a coper head was or what sorghum was. iwas scared for Irene and Baby Annie and the other siblings because Irene saw a panther. i also thought every one was relieved Irene knew that saftey dance.
I do think the girls on the cover really cares about her siblings. How do you know the girls name was Irene Hutto? How do you know it wasn't Piggy Hutto? I don't think people would like it if they picked on her clothes.
Her brothers will respect her now after she just saved them from a panther. I think Irene is proud. she will problably have an easier job now that they listen.
I just finished chapter two and i did not realy like it. i dont think chapter two is what kids should be reading. thank you.
I think tales from a homeplace is sad because, Irene's cousin E.B died by trying to kill more mice and on a actident triped on the gun he was holding and shot himself in the face and landed in a barbwire fence.Ithink E.B should have gotten that because, he put hisrat in Irene's dress and did really mean things to Irene
I think this story is explosive because Irene made E.b. mad so he reacted to kiil himself whith his dads handgun.It made me suprised when he kiiled himself for no reason this is a very!! very!! good story!!
i thought chapter 2 was very sad. in the begining i thought E.B was another family member and i was right.And also at the beginig i wondered what the wish was. And after i kept reading i thought E.B was mean. On page 22 i did not know what a kerosene lamp was i thought it was a lamp with a candle in it.I also thought the book was called Tales From The Home Place because the charecters called the house the Home Place.E.B died! and he shot him self
todayI read a chapter called the wish its about how there cosin comes to vist and all the cildrendon't like him. in this chapter I thought it wuold never be this sad because E.B (the mean cosin who through a dead mouse in Irenes shirt.) got in trouble and not on purpose killed himself. I was first started to read this chapter they said he was mean I wandered why they thought he was so mean. then I found out why and I agree with them. thats all I have to say so bye!
Maybe she isn't rich but everybody isn't rich. I do think the girls on the front cover are the main characters. It probaly is hot where the two girls live it probaly was from along time ago. I do think the girls on the front cover are wearing dresses for a reason. I do think the story is about a farm girl. They probaly come from a big family. I don't think it's just about one girl ethier. I do think the oldest girl takes care of her siblings. I do think people are giving her a hard time.
Lamya, I read your prediction that the story is going to be about a little girl getting picked on because she isn't rich. How do you think that makes the little girl feel? I love your word choice in your second post. "Explosive" is such a powerful word.
I like all the comets we said.All of us have different things to say, we all have different thoughts. my thoughts are different then Mrs.Perkins, Perry15 and even Perry11.
I wonder when they are going to talk about the horse. I want to hear about the horse and the glue factory.i think at it will be interesting.
I wonder why E.B. was being so mean to them. Something must be wrong if you shoot yourself in the head with a real and loaded gun.
THAT IS TRUE HER BROTHERS SHOULD RESPECT HER AFTER SHE SAVED THEM FROM THE PANTHER.IRENE IS PROBABLY VERY VERY PROUD OF HERSELF. WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S GOING TO BE A LITTLE SAD?THAT GIRL IS 12 YEARS OLD.
I think Irene is sad now because every one is thinking it is Irene's fault that E.B died. I think it was not Irene's fault because Wishes like that do not come true and I think sense every one is acting or tell Irene it was her fault I think she feels horrible. I do not know if Irene will feel better because every one is blaming her. But I hope she feels better later in the book.
today I read a chapter called the wish. about how there cousin comes to vist. and all the children don't like him. in this chapter I thought it would never be this sad. because E.B. (the mean cousin who threw a mouse in Irene's shirt.) got in trouble and not on purpose killled himself.
I am wondring? Becuse irenes mom said some poeple are born rong and confused. mabey thats why the bloody man had chains on his arms?
page-39
I also wonder why E.B is so mean to them because he calls them names like squirt or,little squirt.Yeah it probably is something wrorg with him 'cause who would shot there selfs in the head with a real loaded shot gun.I don't like chapter 2 ethier because they are not showing a good example for little kids.
today I read the fugitive it starts out when they find a man thats all bloody, and has chains on his ankles. Thay all think he's a convict. (thats a person whos should be in jail) then I thought what if they get hurt?! then I read on and he's not a convict!!!! so they are taking him back home with his family. then there mom and dad told Irene she had to watch the children because they were leaving. then I wander will she freak out watching them? I hope not because then she will be mad through this whole next chapter.
I read chapter 3 the fugitive before I read the chapter I figured out a fugitive is a person person who is wanted and is not in jail.In the beginning who the man in I did not know who the man in chains were.I found out it was Horace Mooney.I also did not know what a convict meant. i found out it is a dangerous person who is locked up.i was also puzzeled that if Horace Mooney was not a fugitive why did he have chains on? I also really liked irenes cooking song because I thought it was unique because it is very cool. I did not know what cherubic meant. I also wondered were
Homer was. I also thought there may be another convict outside or Horace Mooney because he knew were there house was. I thought it was Horace Mooney coming in the house I would be scared stiff if I was Irene or a other sibling. In the end it was Homer who was coming in the house.
in chapter 4 i did not know what the men and boy were doing in the begnning. I also did not know why the girls can not go on coon hunts. I also found out hunting dogs are great sniffers. Also Robert saw a racoon.
I think chapter 3 was strange. a bloodie man by the lake half naked with chanes. I wonder what would happen next his eye was going to fall out ha ha. I do like chapter 3 a lot and it was fun to read and yucky but i still liked it
Why do they go on the hunt? I learned that this was roberts first time to hunt. I agrea with ireane becuse I like to do the same thing as my family like ireane. I think it is importint to stay with your family when you go in the woods. I wonder what they will do next.
I think it is not fair to have a man hunt. Sometimes other people want to come.I dont blame robert for not wanting the dogs to come they can be very loud.
I wonder if Irene's family lives in the west because Irene says "Darn" alot. I also wondered what garfish are but I figured out they are big, long fish. They are also harmless. I relized that because Irene wished E.B dead so he killed himself with a shot gun. From reading some of the book I learned that they saw what they thought was a convict by the creek with chains and we found out it was a crazy man. The men went on a hunt for racoons and they almost got a really big racoon but they did not have time to shoot it. They did not bring a coon home.
Chapter 4 is so suprising and fantastic because Irene wants to be like a boy just to hunt. her mom doesnt even like the dogs not even one bit. Irenes mom calls the dogs..... you lousey dogs get up and do some work its not fair that we have to work oure butts off. Irene doesnt really want to hunt she just doesnt want to do her and her brothers and sisters chores or work.
I am so happy for ireane because she got to drive alone for the first time! that james is rude bumping into her tricking her into racing. i feel sorry for ireane she fell off the waggon on a cactus and she was on fire. I'm glad james apologized that was NICE.
Today I read the chapter The Race. I did not know why Robert was late to breakfast? Also I did not know what akimbo meant. I noticed that when this book took time the chores were much different then the chores we have now because some people don't even have chores.I also saw that Irene really liked driving the wagon. Also Irene saw James Tilley and I finally know who he is now.Also fell in a cactus patch!!! And James was nice after Irne fell in the cactus patch!!!
today I read chapters 4&5 chapter 4 was about how all the guys were on a hunt they were on a hunt for raccons I think am I right? well any way I kept reading but they never found any. I wondered will they ever find a raccon? then all of a sudden they found something! they say its Ol'Diablo is that a raccon are something else?well were done with that chapter so lets move on ,Irene talkedo her dad about why she can't do somethings but robert can (hes the one who went on the hunt to)so he finally got do some thing different. she got to drive and do some arrends then a kid named James Tilley he started to make fun of Irene. I wodered why is he being so mean? well after that she was driving and fell in a cacctis patch once my friend fell in a cacctis patch.well at the end he appolagisd.
Hi Sophia, you mentioned that you think that this story takes place in the west because the characters say, "darn" a lot. Do people speak differently depending on where they live? Can you give me examples that you've noticed from other books? Were the men hunting the raccoon to eat? Why didn't they have time to shoot it? Did something happen?
Lamya, did you infer that Irene doesn't really want to hunt, that she just doesn't want to do her chores? Can you make a connection with Irene's character? I have read books where characters have worked really hard to get other characters to do their work for them! Do you think that is fair of Irene? Who does the chores if she gets to go hunt?
There is a lot going on in chapter 6. I think that the house is not going to make it through the storm. I wonder what is going to happen to the baby. I think we all make good comments on this book we all want are comment to be on the blog so we try are best and I think it was a good idea to start blogging.
Wow I know how you feel it hurts when I get my hair done. It hurts for couple minutes then for a while It just stings.
today I read a chapter called the unexpected voyage. its about how lucy comes to vist her favorit aunt. aunt belle then I wondered are they at her grandmas are is she with her grandma at someone elses house?then all of a sudden it starts to rain and it comes in through her house! its going to flood! its been a long time and there still in the water. then the same is happening with Irene but they all come home okay.
Today I read chapter 6 of Tales Of The Homeplace. On page 80 I thought a manuscript was like a play script. I also did not know who Belle was and I found out it was the Aunt.Also when the flood came if I were Lucy or Aunt Belle I would be scared because I would not know what to do or what would happen! Also the door hing broke then the door broke of and the water came in very fast!! When Irene and other family mebers came to find Lucy and others I could not belive it was Lucy in the chicken coop!! I would be so happy if I were Lucy and when I came out of the chicken coop in saw my dad iI would have so much JOY!!
I think lucy is into frencemen because,she dreamed about her with a frencemen and her in france and she's whearing a gorjous preety dress.
to:perryjuliap. I saw your coment on how you want to read about the horse and the glue factory. When you read it please blog and tell me about it. from:koester-jillian
I think evreyone will still remember e.b because,even though he was mean to them, doesn't mean he is mean inside
im wondering if the word or chapter name the hunt is something bad!
at that time life was not fair girls. Iriene acted like a boy. she wanted to hunt. it was robart's coon hunt! I thot it had good vishuilzation when it said "the stars came out and filled the night sky. A hoot owl called in the dictece and the men continued to tell storys.
Well mabey she is rich just its a secoreit. to perkins lamya.
at that time life was not fair for girs. Irene was more like a boy. she wanted to hunt
I have thick curly hair just like Lucy. And just like Lucy, it really hurts when it gets brushed.
Lucy was helping Aunt Belle with the chores and the house flooded at bedtime. They were in a hurricane. The door broke off and they used it for a raft in the flood.
Back at the home place there was a very good visulation. "There was a loud crack behind them. WHo would be shooting a shotgun in the middle of a hurricane?wondered Irene as everyone jumped. It was followed by a drawn-out splintering, then a wooshing sound and a thud, as the kitchen roof blew over their heads and landed smack in front of them, hurling toward the fields like a rolling ball.
What does thatta mean? I learned that it can be fun riding a horse to school! I was intrested in Sydney riding her horse to school in the morning. I think Sydney's feeling happy because in a way she brags about her getting to ride her boy horse to school and from school every morning! I thought someone was going to ride there horse with her to school when I first started reading chapter seven. I also wonder if Irene lives in the west because she actually do say darn alot. Irene is more like a boy and she did want to hunt alot of girls do!
hi its me again today I read chapter 7 its called Sydny. Sydny is Irene's mothers horse.every day Irene rides Sydny to school,she really loves this horse. But why does she love this horse so much? one day she was with Sydny and sydny dashed away. WITH IRENE STILL ON HER! she fell off the horse and bummded on the ground.When her mother and father found out they were thinking of giving Sydny away. when Irene was doing her chores she found a newspaper it had an add with a horse on it.When she showed her dad he was veary happy.Soon after she had a talk with her her mother and then she finally told her why Sydny was so specail.
Today I read chapter 7 called Sydney. In the beginning I did not know were Irene and Sydney were. I found out if you ride "bare"back on a horse it means you ride without a sadle because it was bare in the word. I also did nto know what PINTO meant on page 98 and found out it meant spoted in 2 or more colors. Also dose any body on this blog know what withers are I think they are whiskers on the horse. I found out that when Sydney the horse went fast Irene fell off because the mail truck was in frount of Sydney and Sydney likes to be in frount or in the lead. Also because Irene fell off Sydney Daddy wants to sell Sydney. In the book Irene may have a solution to were they dont have to sell Sydney,Also they are going to try Irenes way. I think Irene gets hurt alot because she tries to prove herself to the boys.
In the beggining of chapter 7 i dont realy know what ireane is talking about. I think that ireane is happy to ride sydney becuse she says when she is on sydney she doent worrie about the rest of the day. at first i didnt know who sydney was but she is the horse. sydney was afraid og the mail man and ireane fell of and ireans dad wants to send sydney to the glue factory. I wonder how many times ireane is going to get hurt. I wonder if there is a type of glue called horse glue.
I wonder what an "Ex-racehorse" is.
I learned that Homer scared the kids by pretending he was the confused man down by the creek. They were really freaked out. On chap. 4, when Irene said: "It's no fair! It's only a mens hunt!" Just like me I wanted to get ice cream but my mom told me no. I wonder why coons are so bad? What amazed me was that Irene got to drive a wagon (witch is a man's job.) James Tilley made fun of Irene by saying : "Your doing a man's job. Girls can not do this job!"Irene got soooo mad so she went super fast. She fell into a cactus patch! I wondered how? James Tilley pushed her in but he helped her out. He apoligized alot. I wonderd why James was being nice, the answer was, he was upset about hurting Irene.
bbI learned that Irene is being so jeolous because she asked what happend when yall were hunting and her brother said its not your buisnes its the boys buisnes. Irene was so frustrated that her own brother told her that straight in her face!!! I was suprised that she didnt do any thing about it. I would do somthing about it if my brother just had happend to do somthing like that. I think that the only thing that they did was just hunting and sleeping in a tent. I think that when they were shooting animals they just keep on missing when they shoot. If they were good at shooting they will be killing a lot of animals but i dont like when they kill animals.
I think that ireane is doing a good thing for her grandparents. I think Jimmy is lieing i bet he is only 5. I think that jmmy and junes father is rude because he gave there mom a black eye. I am glad that jimmy is glad to see his father ireanes grandpa said he misses his dad.
Why does Irene want to go to her grandpa's and grandma's? I learned that parents like when there children clean the house 'cause they won't let them go anywhere. I was intrested in Irene's mom not letting her go to her grandpa's and grandma's 'cause she has to see at least some of her family. I think I rene's mad because her mom won't let her go spend some time with her grandma and grandpa. I thought Irene's mom was nice because in the beginning she sounded nice and in my head she looked very nice. What is akimbo 'cause that is an unfamilier word? Why do they go hunting?
I like going to my grandmas to but my mom does not want me home. And my mom does not make a big deal about it. And I wonder when Irene will stop hurting her self just to prove herself one day she will really hurt herself.
Today I read chapter 8 called The Vist. In the beginning I did not know why Irene wanted to go to her Grandma's and Grandpa's. Irene wanted to because she did not want to babby sit and also get to spend alone time with her Grandparents. I did not know who the person was and then I found out the person was Lurleen a old friend.Lurleen had brusiesand a black eye. I found out how Lurleen got the brusies she left out a seed magizine and then her husband grabed her so tigtht that he left brusies. Lurleen has a little boy named Jimmy I think he dose outrages things to be 4 and a half because when I was 4 I did not dunk my head under water and not be scared that is why I think Jimmy is outrages.I think the time of the Depresioon is when times are hard and not enough money or jobs because Irene's Grandma said "there is not enogh jobs in the time of the Depersioon.
today I read chapter 8 its called the vist it starts out when Irene wants to go to her grandma and grandpas. Her mother says she can not go at first but then her mother finally agrees she can go.then I wondered why does she want to go so bad? I thought it was because she wanted to spend time with her grandparents.So after she got there she went to the backyard to help with the chores. then she sees these people she doesn't know who they are I think there relitives what do you think? well I read a few more pages there just friends. theres a mother and two sons. OMG! the mother has brusies and a black eye!!!! when I read that part I was so shocked! then I found out her husband hurts her!!!!!!!!!!!this guy must be so mean do you agree with? well you should. she stayed with them for a few days. then her husband picked her up early I bet hes really mad.
I wonder ho this porson was that Irene saw coming.
From what I read I don't think it would be fun to baby-sit. Lurleen was the person ho she saw coming. Lurleen had bruses on her face and arms. I wonder what hapind to Lurleen.
Julia, I think that your question about horse glue is cool. I think you should look it up. Or maybe all glue is made of horses.
I was amazed Lucy's setting in the story had changed! She was not at homeplace anymore she was at aunt Belle's house. I was astonished to find that a big hurricane bursted into aunt Belle's house. I wonderd how aunt Belle's house got filled with water, but later on I learned the hurricane pushed all the water in.My opinion of the hurricane part was : "If I were in this position people would try to make me calm down but it would not work. Out of the blue I suddenly notised that the hurricane wandered to to Irene's house. The next day Irene's family relized Lucy was in the hurrican so they went to save her. They stopped at jthe chicken coop to see why it was loud. They were throwing blankets at 2 hidden undressed women. I predicted they were Belle and Lucy. They finally came out. They were covered in oil and feathers. 1 girl spoke in Lucy's voice. It was Lucy and Belle.
I woulld be very happy to if I got to plan a family dinner. But the only reason is to boss people around.
I'm happy that ireanes family is having a reuion, but im not happy that homer is eatin all the food. why did ireane try on ruths shorts she new she would be in trouble. I think that ireane is happy becauone it did not minchin then having a talk about the shorts. I wonder why ireanes dad calls shorts devil's handiwork?
today I read chapter 9 called afterword its about family and how we learn about the family we live in. its also sbout how this story is true and all those events really did happen. the panther and sydny annd all the rest to. the onley thing thats not real is Irene she did not really get into those events. this was a really good book I wonder if they make a part two are even a series! that woulod be so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today I read chapter 9 called the Home Place.Inthe begging I thought the grandma was a good at directing the family dinner because she wants you and gets you to do the things she asks.Ruby had a fiance and I had neaver heard of Ruby intell this chapter. There was also another person in this chapter I did not know and her name was Ruth. Ruth had a skirt and let Irene and Lucy try it on. Irene tried it on first and l;ooked good. Then Lucy did not want to try it on. I think Lucy did not try on the skirt because she thought Irene looked better than her. Irene Ruth Lucy were in the out house trying on the skirt and a RATTLESNAKE was in the outhouse!!! Irene got in trouble for trying on the skirt. I would not get in trouble if I tried on a skirt.
I love to eat with my family it is very fun. one day I want to have a chance to organiz one. but for now I have to set it up the way im told.I wonder what they will be serving. What if it is ribs.What if it ends up going wrong like the rest of the story. Chapter 9
Why is the fugitive wandering around there house? I can visualize the fugitive wandering around there house. Are the girls just smart or good? Some people are very good and healthy like Irene but some are just like her brother's they eat to much sweets they barely eat veggie's or fruits they probably eat sweet's all day. But this chapter is not showing good explanation's for little kids.
in the book, Lucy is an author.
Irene is the one that takes care of
the children. Irene scared a panther. they were down by the creek until
Chapter 9
What does it mean when it says primp? This reminds me of the time I had a family reunion. It reminds me because they are having a family reunion in this book and their whole big family gets together and they are having dinner outside, just like at my family reunion. I thought it was a good idea that everyone was helping to get the family dinner ready.
Post a Comment